Scoliosis is a disease where the spine of a human (or any vertebrate) has a c- shaped or S-shaped curve instead of the natural curve of the spine. This may start from infancy but often the spine corrects itself with age. If this does not happen before 10-12 years of age then scoliosis starts to become permanent.
The exact cause of scoliosis differs in every age There are also some possible general causes for scoliosis-
- CONGENITAL SCOLIOSIS
This happens due to birth defects. This cause is very much rare. In the case of congenital scoliosis, the spine and its bones have an abnormal development and in result, the spine has a wrong curve. But it can be treated if treatment is done at the right time. Since the cost of scoliosis treatment in India is more affordable now, more parents are now able to treat to congenital scoliosis of their children.
- GENETIC INHERITANCE
Scoliosis can be inherited by via genes. There are few genes which are supposed to have involvement in causing scoliosis.
Osteoporosis can cause secondary scoliosis. In osteoporosis, the bones get degenerated due to calcium deficiency. This type of scoliosis may be treated with surgery. Scoliosis surgery price India can be a great option.
- NEUROMUSCULAR CONDITIONS
Often nerves and muscles can cause scoliosis. Poliomyelitis, cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy often causes scoliosis.
- SYNDROMIC SCOLIOSIS
Scoliosis may develop as symptoms of other diseases like Marfan’s syndrome or neurofibromatosis etc.
- If an individual is very tall(more than 6 feet ) and has very long legs then he or she may develop scoliosis.
- Carrying heavy objects, bad posture or injuries may lead to scoliosis.
- Uneven legs also cause scoliosis.
Scoliosis symptoms can appear from infancy or adolescence.
- SYMPTOMS IN INFANCY
- The baby lies curved to one side
- A bulge on a side of a chest of an infant or baby
- In some serious cases, the baby develops problems with the heart and lungs. The baby may feel breathlessness or sharp pain in the chest due to scoliosis.
This type of scoliosis needs to be treated as soon as possible. Because if it remains untreated then many other complications like heart disease can occur in later life.
- SYMPTOMS IN ADOLESCENCE
These symptoms start initially from the age of 10 years. The most common scoliosis starts to appear from adolescence. In medical science, it is identified as Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Symptoms are-
- The ribcage is asymmetrical and ribs seem to appear in wrong places.
- The head of the affected boy or girl seems to be off-center
- The affected individual may have an inclination to lean to one particular side.
- The one-shoulder blade is higher than the other.
- Legs are uneven in length
- One hip may appear less prominent than the other
- Clothes do not fit properly
If a child or an adolescent human shows any of these symptoms he or she needs medical attention immediately. A doctor will be able to determine the level of scoliosis that a human has. A doctor can prescribe medicines or exercises or surgery to treat scoliosis. Scoliosis can be kept under control with timely treatment and proper attention.